Fred Strauss announced his retirement last week after eight years as president of The Old 300.
He has worked tirelessly to move forward the creation of The Old 300 Hall which is a part of the new San Felipe de Austin Museum. The museum is open every day and is located on 1458 just North of Interstate 10 between the Brazos River and Sealy.
The Old 300 were the first Anglo American settlers brought to the area by Stephen F Austin creating the town of San Felipe which played a major role in the beginning of Texas.
Fred and Betty Strauss live on a State of Texas-designated Family Land Heritage Ranch which has been in continuous use by the same Family for more than 100 years. Fred Strauss is a descendant of Martin Allen who was one of the Old 300 settlers who arrived with Stephen F Austin.
The Strauss Ranch outside of Sealy is located on part of the Land Grant granted to Martin Allen by Austin. Fred continues to run a herd of Brangus Cattle.
It is interesting to note that a goodly number of Old 300 descendants to reside in Austin County and many continue the farming and ranching traditions.
Fred’s sister, Mary Strauss Chandler, continues to operate another Family Land Heritage Ranch on the Brazos River. The house that was the family home for these properties was the Cannon/ McGruger house originally located at Highway 36 and Main Street in Sealy. The home has been moved to a location outside of Bellville and has been designated with a Historical Marker.
Fred and Betty Strauss and all The Old 300 descendants invite the public to the new San Felipe de Austin Museum to plant your feet on the dirt where Texas began.