Sealy High School Art Club sponsor Brooke Trahan announced last week that students Khokdker Salim (10th grade) and Priscilla Barboza (12th grade) competed at the State Visual Arts Scholastics Event in San Marcos. Both students were awarded gold medals.
“This is a really huge deal,” Trahan said, adding the following information.
• There were 32,177 students who competed at all the Regional and Area contests in Texas and only 2,129 students advanced to State.
• So only 6.6 percent of students who complete advance to the State level
• At regionals, students have to provide detailed information on their original sources on their artwork, answer a series of short answer questions and then be interviewed one-on-one by a college judge.
• At State these students are re-evaluated by a panel of judges on their artwork, short answers, and sourcing.
• Only 120 (less than 6 percent) of the students were awarded Gold Medals out of the 2,129 who competed at State.
• While at State our student also got to participate in several hands-on workshops given by college professors and teachers from all across the country, meet with professors for college portfolio reviews, and tour the McNay Art Museum, along with other historical and cultural site in both San Marcos and San Antonio.